Saturday, August 7, 2010

Review: Pray for Silence

Author:  Linda Castillo

Genre:  Mystery/Thriller

About: An Amish family of seven is found slaughtered on their farm.  The formerly Amish Police Chief, Kate Burkholder, discovers a diary kept by one of the teenage girls which reveals a secret double life that may have led to the murders.

Descriptive Words:  Amish, secrets, videos, eerie, disturbing, descriptive, dark.

Thoughts:  The title and cover are ominous looking, so I knew it would be scary, and I knew an Amish family was murdered. Other than that, I had no idea what I was getting into.  I was pleasantly surprised, though, and didn't want to put it down.  The one negative for me was that the main character, Kate Burkholder, the police chief, was female.  In my mind I pictured a male police chief, and it kept throwing me off because she had a romantic relationship with State Agent John Tomasetti.  Not a huge deal, but it took time getting used to.  Loved everything else.  Quite a page turner!

Not quite up there with Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (which I gave 5 Stars), but very close.

Source:  Library

Why I Chose:  The cover and title looked interesting.

Recommend?  Yes if you can handle disturbing content (murder scenes, some sexual scenes, language)

Rating:  4.5 / 5

Other Reviews:

Lesa's Book Critiques
The Printed Page
Thoughts of Joy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails