Friday, January 22, 2010

Review: The Kids Are All Right

The Kids Are All Right

My Synopsis

A four-person memoir written by the Welch kids whose father, a businessman died in a car accident and their mother, an actress, was diagnosed with cancer a month later and died three years later. The children are sent to live with different friends and neighbors, and they each tell their story of their lives and how they coped with being orphaned as children.

My Thoughts

I saw this featured in O Magazine’s “Reading Room” and it appealed to me because I imagined getting to peek at someone’s secret journal. And that’s how it was. I loved how the chapters alternated amongst the four of them, so I got to see the same events through different eyes. They all talk about their dad and the kind of person he was, and they all talk about how they felt when their mom got diagnosed and how it was as she got sicker.

After their mom dad, poor Dan seemed to get lost in the shuffle because he was the only boy. But Diana, the youngest, was pitifully treated by the people who adopted her. Liz and Amanda, the two oldest girls, told of their time as teens and young adults and the trouble they got into with drinking and partying. It’s hard to believe they all turned out okay considering what they went through, but like the title says, and as resilient as children can be in situations even more awful than this, the kids are all right.

Do I Recommend?

Yes, if you like memoirs.

My Rating

4/5

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails