Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Last Few Books...

The last few books I've read:



Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done In Less Time


Eat That Frog:  21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time ~ Brian Tracy - Some common sense tips I already know, but other new ones were helpful as well. I'd like to read this one again as a refresher. 4/5




Working It Out: A Journey of Love, Loss, and Hope




Working it Out:  A Journey of Love, Loss and Hope ~ Abby Rike - I couldn't put this one down, especially when reading about the accident that killed Abby Rike's husband, 3-year-old daughter and two-week-old son. She was one of those people who worried more about others' grief and comforting them than allowing herself to grieve.  Her story about applying for and being on the Biggest Loser was just as interesting. Not a diet book so much as it is an inspiration to show that anyone can survive tragedy and grief and be happy once again. 5/5

To the Rescue: Found Dogs with a Mission

To the Rescue:  Found Dogs With a Mission ~ Elise Lufkin - Many short stories (with pictures...my favorite!) about rescued shelter dogs who are given a new "leash" on life and a purposeful one at that...visiting hospital patients, lying quietly next to children learning to read, detecting seizures, companions to former military personnel with PTSD.  Lots of wonderful stories and heartwarming photos. 4/5

Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love

The Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love ~ Jodi Anderson. Another library book I had to return before I finished, but I liked what I read. What I'll always remember from this book is the importance and benefits of crating dogs and WHY!  When dogs are not crated (hence the bigger the space provided to them, i.e., the whole house) the more they feel the need to protect that space and the more anxiety it creates.  Makes total sense. I'd like to read this book again...and finish it. 




Moloka'i

Molokai ~ Alan Brenert - Beautifully written fictional story about the real life leper colony, Kalaupapa, on the island of Molokai in Hawaii in the late 1800s, early 1900s.  The main character, Rachel, was so lovable and sweet that when I wasn't reading I wanted to hurry back to the book so I could "be with her" again. 


There are several books about leper colonies that I want to read now.  One is called The Leper Colony by Philip Edwards. Another is In the Shadow of the Pali: A Story of the Hawaiian Leper Colony. It's hard to believe these settlements existed and that children were taken from their families and sent to live there at the first sign of the disease, which started as a small red sore. The families of lepers were outcast by neighbors and other family members, moving and changing their names to start a new life.  4.5/5


Right now I'm reading The Legacy Letters: Messages of Life and Hope From 9/11 Family MembersIt's a compilation of letters written by families to their deceased loved ones. It's very touching and a quick read.


The Legacy Letters: Messages of Life and Hope from 9/11 Family Members

I've also started this one: The Kitchen Counter Cooking School:  How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks ~ Kathleen Finn.  It reads like a novel and is very good. I keep thinking it's boring but somehow can't put it down. Maybe I'll learn a few things. I hope. My husband does too.




The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails