Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: Choosing to See: A Journey of Struggle and Hope

Author:   Mary Beth Chapman

Genre:  Memoir (2010)

About:  The wife of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman talks about her life and of the death of her 5-year-old daughter, Maria, who was accidentally run over by her 17-year-old son, Will.

Thoughts:  I remember when this happened.  All I could think about was how in the world was this 17-year-old kid going to live with this for the rest of his life?

All my questions about the accident were answered and then some.  Mary Beth Chapman wrote not only about what happened that day in May 2008, but also about meeting her husband at age 19, getting married, having their three children and later adopting three little girls from China. What a loving, faithful family. The story and the writing were wonderful, and I love how many pictures there were.  I looked at them over and over. 

Source: Library

Why I Chose:  I was curious to know exactly how the accident happened and how the family was dealing with everything.  I always thought Will was backing up and hit Maria, but he was driving into the driveway as she was running towards the car.  She was excited he was home because she wanted him to lift her onto the monkey bar that she couldn't reach.

Recommend? Yes.

Rating:   4.5 / 5

Reading Now:  A Prayer for the Dying by Stewart O'Nan


Up Next:  Ape House by Sara Gruen



Abandoned:  A Small Furry Prayer by Steven Kotler.  I read 211 pages of this and gave up.  Sometimes I liked it, sometimes I didn't.  The good parts kept me reading for as long as I did, but finally I didn't care anymore and didn't want to finish the final 78 pages.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails