Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review: This Book is Overdue!

This Book is Overdue: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

by Marilyn Johnson

My Synopsis

Non-fiction book about libraries and librarians.

My Thoughts

Book lovers and bloggers have got to read this book. Fascinating, fun-filled facts, and everything you ever wanted to know about one of my most favorite places in the world *sigh*...libraries.

Johnson covers everything in this book. She talks about the right to privacy and a debate over the Patriot Act. In 2005, the FBI went to a library demanding information about a patron who used a computer there, saying it was a matter of national security. The librarians fought to remain silent, in defense of the privacy of citizens. The government was asking for records secretly and telling the librarians to keep quiet about it. After this incident the Patriot Act was reauthorized and rewritten, but there is still a law authorizing secret searches by the FBI.

Johnson talks about new libraries, old libraries, virtual libraries, digital libraries, research libraries, young librarians, old librarians, virtual librarians, and even social groups for librarians.

My favorite chapter was "The Blog People" where Johnson talks about librarian blogs, which I'm going to have to check out. The Annoyed Librarian, The Effing Librarian, Librarian's Rant, The Obnoxious Librarian from Hades, Shhhh!!!, Lower East Side Librarian, and many others. On their blogs they discuss the poop they have to put up with...literally. Apparently someone pooped in a book drop and became the topic of one blog. Then others said they too have found patrons' poop in peculiar places.

Needless to say, no topic was unturd. I mean, unturned.

The only chapter I didn't get was "Wizards of Odd" about Second Life, a virtual reality site. I don't even know what to say about it.

Other than that, I thought this book was really fun and I'm glad I read it.

And now I know...I should have been a librarian.

Johnson also wrote "The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries." I admit I read the obituaries, so this will be going on my list.

Do I Recommend?

Yes. Strongly recommended for true book lovers.

Source

Where else? My local library :)

My Rating

4/5

Other reviews

5 Minutes for Books
Estella's Revenge
Lesa's Book Critiques

Have you read this book or do you plan to?

5 comments:

Julie said...

This sounds good! Great review!

Athira said...

Great review!! I wasn't interested in this book initially, but now I am!

Staci said...

I loved your review of this one and being a middle school librarian I must read this. I have never had book in my drop box, but I did a urine soaked book thrown in there once!!!

Nishant said...

Great review!
data entry india

Gwen said...

I am so glad that you loved this, it should be required reading for any book lover. Not only does it make you appreciate librarians more, it really opened my eyes more about current issues.

The blogs mentioned are fun reads, go get to them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails