Monday, June 27, 2011





Tiger, Tiger

Author: Margaux Fragoso

Genre: Memoir (2011)

About: Okay, I'm done with the child abuse memoirs for now. In this one the author was seven years old when she and her mother met 51-year-old Peter at the neighborhood swimming pool. Her mother was mentally ill and unable to see anything wrong with the friendship that evolved between Margeaux and Peter and thought he was just a nice man. It started with Margeaux and her mother spending time at Peter's house - for her mother she went to escape from Margeaux's alcoholic father - and as Margeaux got older she went to Peter's house alone. He slowly groomed her as his "lover," and they had a sickening, bizarre relationship until he died at 66 years of age...when Margeaux was 22.

Rating: 5/5 I can't help it...it was a page turner. Some of it was so unbelievable and disgusting I almost hoped Oprah would reveal this as partly made up or embellished, like James Frey's A Million Little Pieces.

Why I read: I read about Tiger, Tiger in People or Oprah last month.

Recommend?: Few people will be able to stomach the details of a relationship between a little girl and a man; it was tough. I do, however, think the author did an excellent job and I recommend it if you are interested in this type of memoir.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails