Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Review: Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses

Author:  Claire Dederer

Genre:  Memoir
After reading the first couple chapters of this book I thought I was going to love it. Dederer made me laugh, and I was reminded how much I enjoyed the few yoga classes I've taken.  Despite my minimal experience, I can attest to this paragraph: "The idea was, you got better, looser, stronger while you were at yoga, and then you exported that excellence to the rest of life. You learned how to act right at yoga, and then you acted right, or righter, when you were in your car, or at the grocery store, or putting your children to bed."

Dederer's writing is casual and inviting, like talking with a friend; I actually went to a yoga class when I finished the book and plan to continue.  Beyond the yoga stories, though, it didn't hold my interest. I started skipping over parts of her personal life that I didn't care about, such as her marital relationship, her moves to different cities, and the births of her children. (Some friend I am, huh!) I've read of comparisons to Eat Pray Love, which I didn't particularly like. I won't be recommending Poser to my friends, but I know many people will enjoy it just the same.

Rating:  3.5 / 5

Has anyone read this?  Heard about it?  Plan to read it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails