Monday, July 12, 2010

Review: Still Missing

Author: Chevy Stevens

Genre: Fiction: Mystery/Thriller (2010)

About: A realtor is abducted and held captive while hosting an open house.

Descriptive Words: Scary, gruesome, sad, riveting, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, abuse.

Thoughts: Loved it. But not at first. Annie's (the realtor) character was brusque and unfeminine, with her foul language and snarky attitude. As the story went on, though, it worked and I got used to it, and it's probably why she survived The Freak's abuse for a year. She was one tough cookie.

The story switches back and forth between the present, as she talks to her therapist, and the past, where she tells what happened to her during captivity. That back and forth usually bothers me in books, but Chevy Stevens transitioned so smoothly that I didn't even notice, and in fact kept it interesting. Also, The PTSD aspect brought about while talking to her therapist was fascinating. How does one get over something like that?

Some of the things The Freak did to her were so freaky and his character so realistic that I thought he'd pop out of the book any minute. There was never a dull moment, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Also, the way The Freak constantly used her name when addressing her creeped me out. "Not good, Annie. Not good at all." Ewww.

My ONLY complaint was the abrupt ending. I was fine with the story and the twist of what happened, but I felt unfulfilled. I like when a book ends and I think, "Oh, that was so good!" not "That's it? It's over?" like the author got tired of writing and just wanted it to end.

Other than the ending, I was thoroughly entertained and would read anything by this author, who happens to be a female...I thought Chevy was a man.

Source: Library

Why I Chose: Saw rave reviews on so many blogs I didn't want to miss out. The abduction storyline intrigued me as well.

Recommend? YES! Don't miss.

Rating: 5/5

Other Reviews:

Missy's Book Nook
A Patchwork of Books
Presenting Lenore
Devourer of Books

There are a ton of reviews on this book and I have yet to read a bad one.

Have you read this? Do you plan to?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails