Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Review: The Walk

by Richard Paul Evans
Fiction (2010)

My Synopsis

A story about a man named Alan Christoffersen whose wife is injured in a tragic accident and subsequently dies. Because of the time he took off work to care for her, he loses his job and then his home to foreclosure. With nothing but a backpack and bare essentials, he begins walking. The people he meets on his journey change his life.

My Thoughts

Sort of The Shack (spiritual/philosophical) meets The Unnamed (the main character starts walking and keeps on walking).

I enjoyed the spiritual message in this book. The character, Alan, was likable and loving and pathetic all at the same time. Reminds me of Job in the bible with everything he endures. Alan contemplates suicide at one point, but then remembers what his wife, before she died, asked him to promise her to do: "Live." On his journey Alan sleeps in shacks on the side of the road and walks in the rain and snow. He suffers from hunger and pain, and feels lonely and sad. He encounters people along the way who change his life in the most beautiful way. Lovely, inspiring book.

Do I Recommend?

Yes, for everyone.

Source

Library

My Rating

4/5

Other reviews

Thoughts of Joy
Seattle pi Books

2 comments:

fredamans said...

I loved the Shack so maybe this is a good bet for me to read.
Great review!

Athira said...

So glad you recommend this! I've had my eye on this for some time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails